Steam carpet cleaning utilizes hot water being sprayed through an extraction tool or wand, connected to a vacuum unit. Cleaning solution is mixed with the hot water and sprayed deep into the carpet through the jet nozzles.
The water will penetrate into the fiber all the way down to the backing. This action will loosen any of the embedded soil, oil and grease deposits, making this by far the easiest way to clean your carpets.
There are many types and models of steam carpet cleaners available on the market, ranging from small portable models to the large and very powerful units. The principle is the same no matter what model you pick.
Most carpet manufacturers, fiber producers, and professional carpet cleaners love this process for achieving soil removal more efficiently. With the current state of our technology, we are more than capable of high production and cleaning of carpet.
The real disadvantage to steam carpet cleaning are some of the problems that comes with it. These problems include carpet moisture duration and longer drying times. These are eliminated however, by using a up-to-date model steam carpet cleaner
Currently, there are two methods being used with steam carpet cleaning.
- This method involves a traffic lane cleaner being sprayed on high traffic areas and then scrubbed into the fibers. The entire area is then cleaned by using a hot water extractor that has a cleaning solution being injected into the fibers through the wand.
- The second method involves a free rinse emulsifying pre-spray being sprayed on the entire carpet, then agitated into the fibers.
Steam Cleaning Procedures
- If you have a lot of furniture to move, make yourself a floor plan to figure out the easiest way to either clean around, or remove during the process.
- If the area that’s being cleaned has too much furniture, you should remove as much as you can before starting.
- Thoroughly vacuum the carpet. If the pile is crushed or matted, use a pile brush to loosen the soils which will make vacuuming easier.
- Pre-spray a good amount of steam cleaning solution.
- Using a grooming tool, agitate the pre spray deep into the fibers then let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes, making sure that it doesn’t dry out.
- Extract the area using a portable steam carpet cleaner.
- Repeat the process until the entire area is clean.
- Groom the cleaned area, replace all furniture that was moved, then clean all equipment that you used.